U21s Draw in Challenge Shield Group Game

26th August 2018

Cullercoats 3
Walkergate 3

Cullercoats 3-3 Walkergate
Mcewan 32. 51, 60, 90
Carr 40
Charlton 88


Starting line up:
Mason, R.Patterson, Watson, Carr, Knighting, Charlton, Williamson, Cobley, Bromham, Mcewan, Morton
Subs: Mutch for Bromham (65)
Hall for Mcewan (70)


Unused, Cairns, T.Patterson, Shipley


For the second week running the lads looked to have won 3 points with a late goal only to throw away a victory conceding even later. With 5 goal midweek man Andy Tallen missing James Bromham was moved to a forward role and Martin Cobley slotted into midfield. In defence Thomas Patterson was still suffering from the effects of a chest infection as Joe Knighting returned in the heart of defence in the only other change. For the first 15 minutes it was all Walker as the visitors struck a crossbar, then a post and also were unlucky with a goalmouth scramble that fell into Scott’s hands. Gradually Cullercoats grew into the game and Dan Morton had a couple of great chances but poor finishing let him down. On 32 minutes the opening goal went Cullercoats way as an excellent through ball from Lewis W set Morton free again and this time he squared for Alex Mcewan to tap home. More clever play this time from Morton sent Lewis W free just minutes later and he looked certain to score but a poor First touch allowed the keeper to close him down. Our second goal came on 40 minutes as Morton was fouled and Lewis Carr stepped up to smash in the resulting free kick. 2-0 at half time but despite being fired up in the dressing room the lads looked a different team in the opening part of the second half conceding a sloppy goal on 51 minutes to allow the visitors back in the game. On the hour Mark a rare lapse in concentration from skipper Karl Charlton who was dispossessed on the edge of his own box as Walker levelled. Credit to the lads we regrouped and set about restoring our lead, another chance for a Morton went begging before Lewis Carr smacked the crossbar. Late on Alex Mcewan went down injured which forced us into a reshuffle as Jason stepped into defence allowing Karl to go up top. With just two minutes on the clock the skipper muscled his way through a tiring Walker defence before smashing in what looked like a winning goal. From there the lads fell asleep again and didn’t track runners straight from the kick off before a poor clearance fell straight to a Walker midfielder who slotted in the equaliser.

Disappointed again to throw away another win we are still unbeaten but crucially haven’t beaten any of the other Group D contenders. This means weds nights final game against fellow hopefuls NEA is a must win if we are to qualify in one of the top two spaces.

Mom: Lewis Carr